Getting a little more JOLLY, a little more GREEN, and a little less GIANT.

18 March 2013

So...You Want to Lose Some Weight

Well, I keep waiting for this perfect moment when I'm going to have some time to sit down and write a very clever, well-laid out blog post about all the ins and outs of how to lose weight.

After a week of trying to do just that, I'm calling it.

It ain't gonna happen!

I need to follow that K.I.S.S. mantra: Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Me Stupid. Not you Stupid! You're not stupid. You just want some advice on how to get a little healthier and happier. And there is nothing stupid about that. In fact, it's very smart. So let me see what I can do to help you on your way.

The secrets to weight loss are not secret at all. They are exactly the things we hear about all the time. Eat less, exercise more. We know how to lose weight. Eat less, exercise more. It's just the doing part that is so darn hard to do. I can give you the "DO" part of weight loss, but what it really boils down to is that you are willing to DO it. That you DO it every day. And you keep DOing and figuring out different ways to DO it until you achieve what you want most in life: to be healthy and happy.

So...Here is what I did every day to lose 100 pounds:

1. Drink lots of water. At least 64 ounces. No pop.

2. Exercise at least 45 minutes. Mostly aerobic, with some strength training.

3. Eat lots of vegetables. And fruits. As fresh and unprocessed as possible.

4. Eat more lean protein. Chicken, fish, shrimp, beans, peanut butter, yogurt, etc.

5. Eat less carbs. Not low carb or carb free. Just less "simple" carbs, such as WHITE bread, bagels, pasta, chips, crackers, etc.

6. Track calories and stay under calorie allotment.

7. Have ONE treat once a week.

That's about it. I'm not saying I did perfectly every day or that I even do now after doing this for almost two years. But I am most successful at losing and keeping weight off when I am actively and consistently doing these seven things.

I'm not popping pills or doing juice fasts or going organic or doing crazy exercise regimens. I never even joined a gym. I did this stuff in the comfort of my home, with four little children, and lost 100 pounds.

It's basic. It's simple. It works. Are you ready to see if it works for you?

P.S. This is the foundation. I plan to write more in the future about other topics, such as motivation, healthy food choices, kinds of exercises, etc. This is just a good place to start.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Amen. I KNOW everything I need to do and I even know that it works. I just need to DO it and KEEP doing it! SO HARD!!